The Island was founded in 1890 by a group of ten Irish bachelors who were known as the “Syndicate”. The group need a ferryman to take them across the estuary from Malahide. When they needed to return after their game of golf, they would signal the ferryman by hanging a large red and white disc from the clubhouse wall. A “Syndicate” of ten ran the Island Golf Club until the late1950s after which it opened up its membership.
It not entirely clear who originally laid out this course but it has undergone some changes with revisions by Fred Hawtree, Eddie Hackett, Jeff Howes and most recently by Martin Hawtree.
The Island starts out a bit disjointed with eight-straight par 4s, finishing the front nine with a par 3. That lack of variety is offset by the sheer excellence of the holes and the terrain. Plateau greens on the second and third repel weak shots.
The dunes, views and challenge only intensify on the back nine. The 190-meter, par-3 13th tiptoes to the edge of the Malahide Estuary and Malahide Marina with the village as a backdrop. The round reaches its zenith at the par-5 15th, where a green rests in an amphitheater of towering dunes.
The 6,313-meter, par-71 course (roughly 6,900 yards) will host a British Open qualifier from 2013-2017.