Western Gailes is a course founded in 1897. Four Glaswegians founded the club and asked a Mr. F Morris to layout the course on the land belonging to the Duke of Portland. The original course remained in place until the revision of a number of holes in 1970. Western Gailes is an unusual layout with four holes heading away from the clubhouse and with nine holes heading straight back along the coastline and then finishing with five holes heading back towards the clubhouse. Each hole is varied with classic links fairways, some three burns that dissect this thin strip of land, with the greens cleverly located in or around the sand dunes. This is an excellent test of golf for the low handicapper and has been host to a number of important events and is used for final qualifying when the Open is played at Troon or Turnberry.